Fondly known as “The Mac,” this sweet-tart fruit has the classic apple flavor.
- Low in calories, high in water content and offer a fair amount of vitamins A, C and B
- Contain a dietary fiber known as pectin, which has been shown to lower cholesterol levels
- Trace amounts of boron, which has been touted for its ability to help build strong bones
- When To Look: McIntosh is usually harvested in the first week of September, and its popularity and long shelf-life means it is available through the winter and spring
- Best Uses: It has an excellent flavor for pies, but its soft flesh tends to soften quickly when cooked making it a popular choice for apple sauce or apple butter
- Keep refrigerated to last up to 2-3 weeks.
- Medium Basket: 2-2.5 lbs; Approx 5-7 pcs depending on size and variety
- Large Basket: 4-4.5 lbs; Approx 10-12 pcs depending on size and variety
- Extra Large Bags: 8 lbs; Approx 18-20 pcs depending on size and variety
- Case: 18 lbs; Approx 44-48 pcs depending on size and variety