Granny Smith apples have a bright green skin that is often speckled with faint white lenticels (spots). They are a firm and juicy apple with thick skin with a tart, acidic, yet subtly sweet flavor.
- Each apple has approximately 83 calories and is very high in fiber
- Contains calcium, magnesium, Vitamin A, and C
- When To Look: These apples are summer apples, usually harvested in late August or early September
- Best Uses: Granny's are excellent for candied apples, with peanut butter and have a perfect tart flavour. It has the highest fibre content of all apples and is the best dietary aid to regulate digestion.
- How to Store: Like other apples, keep Granny's as cold as possible (without freezing!). Try keeping them in a perforated plastic bag, as this will allow moisture to escape without losing any of the crispness.
- Keep refrigerated to last up to 2-3 weeks.
- Medium Basket: 2-2.5 lbs; Approx 5-7 pcs depending on size and variety
- Large Basket: 4-4.5 lbs; Approx 10-12 pcs depending on size and variety
- Extra Large Bags: 8 lbs; Approx 18-20 pcs depending on size and variety
- Case: 18 lbs; Approx 44-48 pcs depending on size and variety